Natural Products Expo West, which ran March 5-9 at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California, provided a venue for tea companies to introduce their new teas. A trend that emerged was the addition of wellness blends in product collections of Celestial Seasonings, Bigelow, Pukka, and Twinings.
Turmeric and matcha were a couple ingredients that showed up repeatedly. Turmeric is an antioxidant known for its anti-inflammatory properties and matcha is lauded for its epigallocatechin gallate content.
Boulder, Colorado-based Celestial Seasonings took a unique approach with its new Tea Well collection of wellness teas. All five teas in the collection have the same “wellness core” ingredients: elderberry, green rooibos, dandelion and ginseng. Additional ingredients were mixed in to form each of the five Be Well tea blends: Ginger Mint, Lemon Chamomile, Honey Lemon, Matcha Green and Turmeric Spice.
- Ginger Mint adds ginger and spearmint.
- Lemon Chamomile adds chamomile, lemon, lemon peel, and clementine extract.
- Honey Lemon adds chamomile, honeybush, lemon verbena, honey crystals and lemons.
- Matcha Green adds green tea, matcha and white tea.
- Turmeric Spice adds cinnamon, turmeric, cardamom, black pepper and anise seed.
Fairfield, Connecticut-based Bigelow Tea launched its Matcha Green Tea with Turmeric, and Ginger Peach Turmeric teas in the second half of 2018 and sampled at Expo West.
Bigelow announced it will also add three new blends to its Benefits collection, which are named: Stress Free, Focus and Lean & Fit, all of which are formulated to support a healthy lifestyle.
- Stress Free is a mint and rose herbal tea blend that balances sweet floral notes with a light mint finish.
- Focus is a bold, robust black tea mixed with vitamin rich moringa and is meant to promote clarity.
- Lean and Fit deliciously combines rich oolong tea with a dash of citrus flavor.
The three new teas will be available to consumers in this summer.
Keynsham, United Kingdom-based Pukka Herbs introduced a line of three new teas that focus on different wellness benefits: Tulsi Clarity, Turmeric Active and Clean Matcha Green.
- Tulsi Clarity is a naturally caffeine-free blend of organic green, purple and lemon tulsi, also referred to as holy basil. Tulsi is an adaptogenic herb with anti-inflammatory properties that is used in ayurvedic practice.
- Turmeric Active is a caffeine-free blend of turmeric, organic galangal, ginger, licorice, nettle, triphala and orange essential oil. Pukka describes this blend as “warm, spicy and invigorating.”
- Clean Matcha Green is made with organic green tea, dandelion, fennel, green tea, lemon myrtle and licorice.
Additionally, Pukka launched two new latte mixes: Cacao Maca Magic, a chocolatey blend with ashwagandha; and Turmeric Gold, a blend with cardamom and saffron.
Andover, United Kingdom-based Twinings expanded its line of Wellness Teas that was crafted to support different aspects of healthy living. The diverse collection has five new refreshing blends called: Unwind, Energize, Soothe, Renew and Support.
- Unwind combines passionflower, dried apple, chamomile, natural flavors, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves.
- Energize is green tea with matcha and cranberry and lime flavors.
- Soothe has turmeric root, lemongrass, star anise, orange peel, liquorice root and natural flavors.
- Renew is a blend of fennel, lemon peel, lemongrass, burdock root, spearmint, ginger, natural lemon, lemongrass and basil flavors with other natural flavors, rooibos and verbena.
- Support incorporates ginger, liquorice root, lime, white hibiscus, natural lime flavor, cinnamon, lime peel and cloves.